Submarine cable to address Samal Island’s power woes

DAVAO CITY – The Northern Davao Electric Cooperative Inc. (NORDECO) has announced it will soon activate its submarine cable facilities that will address the power woes of the Island Garden City of Samal (Igacos) in Davao del Norte.

NORDECO officer-in-charge, Elvira Alngog, told media the project is now 75% complete and the remaining 25% will be finished before the year ends.

She said the cable is fabricated in Italy and the project will be  operational in the first quarter of 2023. The 14.7-kilometer submarine cable project will connect Barangay Aundanao in Igacos, to the Pantukan grid, and will cost P1.1 billion,.

“This will address the power shortage in Samal since the demand in the island is increasing,” Alngog noted, adding that various developers and investors have expressed their intentions to expand their businesses in Ihacos.

NORDECO has vowed to continue providing better services for its member-consumer-owners (MCO) after President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. vetoed House Bill 10554 which would expand the franchise coverage area of the Davao Light and Power Company.