MANILA – The city government of Manila stood firm on its policy to scrap the mandatory use of face shields, except when in hospitals or medical facilities.
Shopping malls in the capital city have been advised of Executive Order (EO) 42 after it was learned that some establishments continued to require the wearing of face shields.
Bureau of Permits Director Levi Facundo, in a statement issued on Tuesday, said that they have already communicated EO 42 to all malls and establishments in the city.
“As per the information relayed by mall managements, informed lahat ng (they have informed all) security guards on the implementation of the non-mandatory use of face shields inside the malls,” Facundo said.
Manila’s directive runs counter to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque’s pronouncement on Monday that local government units must wait for the final decision of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) regarding the removal of face shields as additional protection against Covid-19 infection.
He reminded mayors that they are still “under the control and supervision of the President in the executive branch of government” and the IATF-EID’s decision also reflects that of the Chief Executive.
President Rodrigo Duterte previously approved the recommendation to limit the use of face shields in closed and crowded places.
Until the IATF issues its final decision, Roque said mayors should “follow” the chain of command in implementing pandemic responses.
In an interview on Monday, Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso said the city’s focus is on the Covid-19 vaccination program.
As of 7 p.m. on Monday, Manila has already administered 2,674,448 vaccine doses. Of the total, 1,291,973 are fully vaccinated.
Meanwhile, 29,515 minors aged 12 to 17 have also received their first doses.
Active Covid-19 cases are down to 304 as of noontime Tuesday.
There were also 56 new recoveries that brought the total to 87,834 out of 89,834 infections. (PNA)