Crime rate in Bicol drops by 7.12% with 5-minute response strategy

LEGAZPI CITY – Crime incidents in the Bicol Region declined by 7.12 percent, attributed to the effective implementation by the Philippine National Police (PNP) regional Office of the 5-minute response time strategy.

Police Regional Office-5 Director Brig. Gen. Nestor Babagay Jr. said from July 16 to Aug. 16, their office recorded 1,722 crimes, which is 132 fewer cases compared to the 1,854 incidents reported during the same period last year.

Babagay said the timely and decisive response by police units arriving within five minutes of distress calls has proven to be a significant breakthrough in deterring crimes. “Criminals are now deterred, knowing the police can and will arrive immediately, while communities feel safer and more empowered to seek help,” he said.

He said PRO-5 also intensified its operations against crime and illegal drugs during the period and has confiscated P15,071,855.52 worth of illegal substances, including 54.62 grams of marijuana and 2,215.49 grams of shabu, leading to the arrest of 114 individuals for drug-related violations.

The campaign by the PRO-5 against wanted persons gained significant momentum, resulting in a total of 350 arrests across various levels.

“As we maintain this momentum, PRO-5 will continue to enhance the 5-minute response framework, ensuring faster police services, stronger operations, and safer communities,” he added. (PNA/Connie Calipay)